This blog is mostly professional, but may have some personal notes in it as well, as it affects my professional activities.

Its namesake stems from my PhD research into regional identities in the late eighteenth century in what is now southern Bavaria.

I blog about issues related to information literacy, access to library resources, the environment, and the Historical Geography of Rupertsland.

Some sources regarding his life and work.

Fischer, H. (1988) ‘Schön und vortrefflich’: die ‘Charte von Schwaben’: Ein kartengeschichtlich bedeutsames Werk zu Beginn des 19. Jahrhunderts, in: Beiträge zur Landeskunde: Regelmässige Beilage zum Staatsanzeiger für Baden-Württemberg, Juni 1988, 3:1–8.

Fischer, H. (1988) Die ‘Charte von Schwaben’ im Massstab 1:86,400: Erläuterungen, in the series: Reproduktionen alter Karten, Stuttgart.

Fischer, H. (1993) Die ‘Charte von Schwaben’ 1:86,400, Cartographica Helvetica 7 (1993) 1–10.Gradmann, J.J. (1802) Das gelehrte Schwaben: oder Lexicon der jetzt lebenden schwäbischen Schriftsteller, Ravensburg.

Günther, Siegmund (1922) Eine Kartierung Oberschwabens um die Wende des achtzehnten Jahrhunderts, Sitzungsberichte der mathematisch-physikalischen Klasse der Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu München, Jahrgang 1921 315–330, 317n.

Wolfart, P. (2008) Mapping the Early Modern State: the Work of Ignaz Ambros Amman, 1782–1812, Journal of Historical Geography, 34(1):1-23.

"Ignaz Ambros von Amman" in Wikipedia [short entry but cites Wolfart (2008).]


Indigenous Studies Portal News

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Filing 'Teachable' moments

What are the chances? two reference questions that touched on two very different aspects of my past research. I was able, without consulting external resources.

Historical Atlas that shows events of the 18th century in western europe. Was able to remind student of a resource I hadn't used in over 10 years, back when I was teaching historical geography of Europe.
treatment of women in shakespeare's time -- directed student to New Historicism and stephen greenblatt.
This experience needs to be filed as I prep for interviews as a teachable moments.  And speaking of teachable moments, have been confronted with a spectacular one, as I failed to be shortlisted for position that I've been doing for several years, and had developed an excellent rapport with the folks I was meant to serve, but perhaps not so much with my team mates.  Tricky one.  Siomebody moved my cheese, and I'm expected to make lemonade.  Watch this space, as I try to reinvent myself.  I've been told in the past I have a good broadcasting voice.  What of the voice of Information Literacy.  What shall I call myself?  Open to suggestions,

No comments:

Post a Comment